First and foremost, turning waste into compost means less trash gets buried in the ground in landfills. Breaking down organic items into compost renews their ability to grow new plants. Composting also:
• Augments the structure, porosity and density of soils, making them richer places for plant growth.
• Improves the water-holding capacity of soils, reducing water loss, erosion and leaching
• Controls or suppresses certain soil-borne plant diseases and also binds up or degrades certain pollutants.
• Improves the pH levels in soils.
• Adds more microorganisms that improve the quality of soils.
Want to learn more? Click here.